– Vancouver Aquarium’s Ocean Wise program proudly announces the 12 Vancouver Ocean Wise finalists who will compete head-to-head at this year’s 2012 Ocean Wise Chowder Chowdown, presented by Rickard’s and Granville Island Brewing. This year’s event takes place on November 21 at the Vancouver Aquarium. Tickets are available at vanaqua.org/chowder-chowdown
“This friendly, but competitive, cook-off brings together 12 of Vancouver’s top chefs as they showcase their original ocean-friendly seafood chowders, paired with craft beer, at this fun and delicious consumer event,” says Mike McDermid, Vancouver Aquarium’s Ocean Wise partner relations manager. “The winner, who will be crowned 2012 Ocean Wise Chowder Chowdown Champion, will be selected by a celebrity panel of judges, and guests are invited to vote for the People’s Choice winner at what promises to be memorable evening of unique and flavourful chowders, all in support of sustainable seafood.”
The line-up of local Ocean Wise chefs contending for the winning title of Vancovuer Aquarium’s 2012 Ocean Wise Chowder Chowdown Champion include:
- Chefs Alessandro Vianello and Michael Carter| Street Meet
- Chef Dana Hauser| Herons – The Fairmont Waterfront
- Chef Tom Lee | Edible Canada at the Market
- Chef Todd Bright| Wild Rice
- Chef Alex Tung | Cotto Enoteca Pizzeria
- Chef Troung Minh Xong| Kamei Royale Japanese Restaurant
- Chef Frank Gort | Showcase Restaurant and Bar – Vancouver Marriott Pinnacle
- Chef Nathan Tower| Savoury Chef Foods
- Chef Chris Whittaker| Forage – Listel Hotel
- Chef Eric Pless| Coast Restaurant
- Chef Warren Mercier| Vancouver Aquarium
- Chef Derek Bendig| Hotel Eldorado
Guests are invited to sample all 12 mouth-watering chowders paired with craft beers, and cast their vote for the People’s Choice Award, while a panel of judges will determine the night’s champion.
Vancouver Aquarium’s Ocean Wise Chowder Chowdown takes place on November 21, 2012, at 7 p.m., at the Vancouver Aquarium. Tickets are $50, and are available at vanaqua.org/chowder-chowdown
. All proceeds from the evening will directly support the Aquarium’s Ocean Wise program. Chowder Chowdown is a 19 + event.
This event would not have been made possible without the generous support of presenting sponsors Rickard’s and Granville Island Brewing. We’d also like to recognize Albion Fisheries Ltd. for providing competing chefs with Ocean Wise seafood and our media sponsor CTV.
Vancouver Aquarium Ocean Wise™
The Ocean Wise symbol next to a seafood item is the Vancouver Aquarium’s assurance of an ocean-friendly seafood choice. With over 3,100 Ocean Wise partner locations across Canada, Ocean Wise makes it easy for consumers to make sustainable seafood choices that ensure the health of our oceans for generations to come.www.oceanwise.ca